What are you doing this weekend, October 12-14?
The Charleston Regional Business Journal released their
weekly “10 Ways to Play” list, so you don’t have to do any of
the thinking, only the playing….
The Charleston Regional Business Journal released their weekly “10 Ways to Play” list, so you don’t have to do any of the thinking and more of the playing….
The North Charleston Coliseum vicinity will be hoppin’ this weekend. Tonight the New Orleans Hornets and Charlotte Bobcats take to the court in a preseason NBA game at 7:30 p.m. Comedian Wanda Sykes performs at 8 p.m. Friday. The Ultimate Doo-Wop Show is at 8 p.m. Saturday at the PAC. And the Stingrays kick off their 20th season on the ice vs. the Gwinnett Gladiators at 7:05 p.m. Saturday.
WHO: Hoops, comedy, hockey and doo-wop fans
WHEN: Today through Saturday
WHERE: North Charleston Coliseum and Performing Arts Center
Start and end the weekend at the Charleston Farmers Market with cooking demos, fitness classes and health and wellness information, food trucks, local bands, games and green living stuff to do and buy.
WHEN: Saturday and Sunday
WHERE: Marion Square
Run to the beer and brats while enjoying views of Patriots Point, the Cooper River Bridge, Charleston Harbor the USS Yorktown. The event benefits East Cooper Community Outreach.
WHO: East Cooper Breakfast Rotary
WHEN: 6 p.m. today
WHERE: Waterfront Memorial Park in Mount Pleasant
If you’ve ever wanted to don a mask and cape and cry, “To the bat cave!” now’s your chance. And it won’t even be weird — this time. Just be sure you’re at the event when you do it, not out on Meeting Street.
WHO: The Sustainability Institute
WHEN: 7-10:30 p.m. today
WHERE: Hibernian Hall, 105 Meeting St. in Charleston
Parents — new and expecting — can gather information on photographers, health care for mom and baby, clothing, resources and activities. Now, if you could just find someone to change the diapers.
WHEN: Noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
WHERE: Hippodrome at Aquarium Wharf in Charleston
Help abused and neglected children at this Helping And Lending Outreach Support fundraiser featuring oysters, beer, wine, games, music and prizes. Children are welcome.
WHEN: 4-6:30 p.m. Sunday
WHERE: Cottage on the Creek on Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant
Once a year, visitors experience parts of life on the plantation — pottery, coopering, cotton and rice processing, and candlemaking. To their credit, they address slavery head-on with a historical tour.
WHO: Middleton Place
WHEN: Saturday and Sunday
WHERE: All over the plantation
Pick your carving pumpkin, take a hayride and enjoy a ton of activities and games. What a great way to tire out your little pumpkins this weekend.
WHO: Boone Hall
WHEN: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. through Saturday; 1-6 p.m. Sunday
WHERE: Boone Hall in Mount Pleasant
The CSO opens its season on a dramatic note with compositions about fate and the heavens, including Gustav Holst’s popular orchestral suite The Planets, with its seven unique movements and large orchestra.
WHO: Charleston Symphony Orchestra
WHEN: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday; open dress rehearsal at 7 p.m. today
WHERE: Sottile Theatre, 44 George St. in Charleston
Dig into history with local archaeologists and tour dig sites where Native American and colonial finds have been unearthed. Join in such activities as piecing together pottery and a scavenger hunt.
WHO: Charles Towne Landing
WHEN: 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday
WHERE: 1500 Old Towne Road in Charleston
- Omar Shriners Charity Gala: 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Omar Shrine Temple, 176 Patriots Point Road in Mount Pleasant.
- Here to Stay: The Gershwin Experience: 7 p.m. Wednesday at Sottile Theatre, 44 George St. in Charleston. The Charleston Concert Association opens its season.
- The Fox Street Allstars: 9 p.m. Wednesday at The Pour House.
- Omar Shriners Celebrity Golf Classic: 11 a.m. Oct. 18 at Miler Country Club and Pine Forest Country Club in Summerville.
- Fun & Fashion to benefit Animal Rescue & Relief: 6-9 p.m. Oct. 18 at Antiques of the Indies, 164 Market St. in Charleston.
- Dracula: 7:30 p.m. Oct. 19 and 20 at Charleston Music Hall.
- The Folly Beach Challenge: 8:15 a.m. Oct. 20 on Folly Beach.
- Classical Kids Concert: 1 p.m. Oct. 20 at Memminger Auditorium, 56 Beaufain St. Chamber Music Charleston will perform.
- Omar Shriners Parade: 3 p.m. Oct. 20 in Summerville.
- Celebration of Italy: 7:30 p.m. Oct. 20 at Memminger Auditorium, 56 Beaufain St. Chamber Music Charleston will perform.
- Auditions for David Letterman’s Stupid Pet Tricks: 1-4 p.m. Oct. 21 at Red’s Ice House in Mount Pleasant.
- Annual Family Picnic at the Dill Sanctuary: 1-4 p.m. Oct. 21 on the banks of the Stono River. Hosted by the Friends and Needed Supporters of The Charleston Museum.
- Don Giovanni: 7:30 p.m. Oct. 26 and 3 p.m. Oct. 28 at the Sottile Theatre, 44 George St. in Charleston. Performed by Opera Charleston.
- James Island Connector Run/Walk/Bike: 8 a.m. Nov. 3, benefiting the Gavalas Kolanko Foundation.
- Harvest Fest: Bluegrass, Beverages and BBQ Cookoff: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 3 at Mullet Hall Equestrian Center on Johns Island.
- Shrek the Musical: 7:30 p.m. Nov. 23 and 2 p.m. Nov. 24 at the North Charleston Performing Arts Center